Woodgrain wallpaper is an excellent alternative to natural, expensive finishes. With their help, you can create a cozy and harmonious interior in a classic, rustic, ethnic or new eco style at no special cost. By the way, these areas are very popular today. From the article you will learn what types of “wooden wallpaper” exist, what are their advantages and disadvantages, and you will also find some tips for use.
Advantages and disadvantages
If earlier, wallpaper imitating brickwork or wooden boards was thin, absolutely smooth and looked like an unsuccessful photo on the whole, now such wallpaper can hardly be distinguished from the original surface.
The technique of making canvases allows you to create volumetric, textured, rough surfaces and transfer the smallest cracks. That is why such wallpapers are now widely used by many famous designers. However, this is not their only advantage. In many respects, such a finish is even superior to natural:
It is much easier to stick wallpaper than to mount, for example, wood wall panels;
- Wallpaper maintenance is easier;
- Installation time is significantly reduced;
- There is no likelihood of an allergy to the material, as sometimes happens when using natural bamboo;
- Natural wood does not like moisture, which means that it is undesirable to use it for finishing “wet” rooms. But the wallpaper is quite possible;
- Also, the tree does not like exposure to ultraviolet radiation and requires constant updating of the protective coating. Most wallpapers have a high level of lightfastness;
- Some types of wood are very rare and expensive; it is hardly possible to decorate the interior with them. Wallpapers offer the widest choice of textures and colors;
- Wallpaper decoration does not hide the useful area;
- And, in the end, the cost of such finishing is much lower than natural.
The disadvantages include perhaps some difficulty in the selection.
Types of wallpaper by material
All wallpaper imitating wood texture can have a base of two materials:
Papers are the most versatile material in terms of ease of applying a decorative layer on top.
Both vinyl or textiles and another layer of paper fit well on top of the paper. The material of the top layer will be responsible for the resistance of the wallpaper to moisture and other factors. For example, two-layer paper canvases are not suitable for areas such as kitchens, hallways or baths. They will quickly lose their appearance. It is better to paste over dry rooms with them. For damp rooms, the top layer should be vinyl. Then dirt can be easily removed from the surface with a damp sponge. The advantage of the paper base is the more affordable cost of the finished product, good air permeability. The disadvantages include the inability to use in all types of rooms and the complexity of gluing;
Non-woven fabric made of cellulose fibers. Such a base is characterized by dimensional and shape stability. The decorative layer on non-woven fabric is most often made from vinyl, sometimes from textiles. Natural veneer or cork can also be glued to such a base. Wallpaper on a non-woven base is much easier to glue, there is no need to apply glue to the canvases, they can hide small irregularities in the walls. The disadvantages include the higher cost.
Colors and decors
The assortment of wallpapers under the tree is very wide.
All variety of patterns can be divided into groups:
- Solid wood grain or imitation bark;
- Wooden planks laid horizontally or vertically;
- Aged boards;
- Panel made of wooden cuts;
- Imitation of log walls;
- Mosaic from wooden elements;
- Wood-like wallpaper with additional patterns.
Each style is interesting in its own way. The choice should be based on the functional purpose of the room and the general style of its design. It is also worth considering the direction of the drawing.
Remember that vertical stripes will visually raise the ceiling. Horizontal – expand the space. The diagonal direction can blur boundaries and is perfect for small spaces.
The color scheme of the coating can also be very different. As often as natural shades, there are colored canvases. Imitation of painted wood perfectly complements the Provence and Scandinavian styles. And if in the latter case, shades of white are preferred, then Provence allows the use of pale shades of yellow, pink, green, blue, lavender.
Application in the interior
Wood-like wallpaper is a versatile finishing material and looks great in the interiors of any room and any style.
- In bedrooms, wood trim is most often used to highlight the area at the head of the bed. Such a finish looks expressive, plus, it adds a sense of home warmth and comfort to the room. Natural, light woody or white canvases are preferred. Natural wood furniture looks great against the background of a wooden insert. If the wallpaper is selected in white, then the furniture may have a contrasting shade;
- In the living room, such wallpaper is often allocated to a TV area or a wall behind the sofa. A popular subject is a panel made of wooden saw cuts. Wood trim will go well with a wood fireplace, if there is one. The wood grain also works well with floor coverings such as laminate or parquet flooring and some types of carpeting. The most advantageous against such a background will look like pieces of furniture in a classic style or a simple form;
- Do not forget that such wallpaper can be pasted over not only walls, but also the ceiling plane. But only on condition that the ceiling height is more than 2.7 meters, otherwise an oppressive feeling will be created;
In the hallway, light wallpaper with a plot in the form of raw, vertically arranged boards, aged boards or imitation of tree bark will look good. You can not paste over the entire wall, but only its lower part along the entire perimeter of the room. Then the bottom should be made dark, and the top – lighter. In addition, such a division will help to visually increase the height of the ceiling;
- In the kitchen, woodgrain wallpaper looks harmonious in the dining area. But, if the facades of the kitchen set also imitate wood or are made of it, it is better not to cover the entire wall with such wallpaper. Make the decorative insert not too wide. Let it match the length of the dining table;
- Instead of the usual wallpaper or trim with plastic panels, you can also use a similar print in the bathroom. If you want to paste over all the walls, choose light shades. Try using wallpaper with a diagonal pattern and be amazed at the unusual effect;
- In children’s rooms, such wallpaper can be used to decorate one wall or as a decorative insert. They will bring comfort to the room, but they will not overload it or seem too boring to the little owner. Moreover, wood-like wallpaper is perfectly combined with many other types of wallpaper and materials.