It seems that a modern person can no longer survive a sultry summer without air conditioning, but there are still a lot of opponents of this miracle of technology among us. The air conditioner is disliked due to the fact that it provokes the appearance of colds, but if you find the right place for it, then you can get rid of almost all the shortcomings. Where to install an air conditioner in an apartment, house, room, so that the pleasant coolness does not become a source of high temperature, cough and runny nose, but brings only comfort and pleasure?
# 1. Types of air conditioners
Air conditioners are different, so the rules for their placement are different. Without going into the details and features of the choice, we note only the main types of cooling devices that can be used in a home:
A mobile air conditioner is a small but rather heavy (30-50 kg) device, placed on the floor, can easily move around the room and apartment, it can even be transported to another house. An obligatory structural element is a hose through which hot air is discharged to the street. As a rule, there are no questions about the installation of such an air conditioner. The main thing is that the cold air does not blow on people, but if something happens, its direction can be easily corrected. The main disadvantage is a lot of noise;
monoblock window can be installed only in the window opening, as evidenced by its name. Such devices are not particularly effective, they take away light, spoil the appearance of the window, therefore they are rarely installed recently;
split-system is the most popular type of air conditioners today. Consists of two blocks, indoor and outdoor. As a rule, the placement of the indoor unit raises the most questions, so we will pay maximum attention to this topic.
# 2. Basic rules for installing an air conditioner in an apartment
Everyone who is going to equip their home with an air conditioner, first of all, is concerned about the selection of a device that is suitable for technical characteristics. The widest range of climatic equipment is presented on the website veter-spb.com, and the company’s employees will help with choosing the most suitable model, carry out a high-quality installation of the air conditioner and will be able to provide further equipment maintenance (cleaning, repair, etc.). Of course, you will have to decide on the place of installation of the air conditioner in the apartment on your own, but it is not so difficult – it is important to take into account only some tips and features of the equipment functioning.
To make the operation of the air conditioner completely safe for health, follow these rules:
cold air should not get on the bed, sofa, desk and other places where households are for a long time. The maximum concentration of cold air is observed at a distance of 2-3 meters from the air conditioner, then the coolness dissipates;
- the optimal distance between the ceiling and the upper border of the indoor unit of the split system is 10-15 cm. The intake of warm air from the apartment is carried out through the upper part, therefore it is so important that there is enough space for the unhindered circulation of air masses;
there must be a distance between the air conditioner and the furniture. If the installation will be carried out above the cabinet, then 70-100 cm of space should remain between it and the ceiling. There should be no pieces of furniture within a radius of 1-1.5 m in front of the air conditioner. If you do not follow these rules, then the cooled air will collide with barriers, and instead of spreading around the room, it will reflect off the furniture and return again to the intake hole. The device evaluates the efficiency of its work by the temperature of the air coming to it, and if already cooled air enters it, then the temperature sensors will give the command to stop working, and the user will in fact not get the proper coolness. If this happens all the time, then the air conditioner will quickly fail;
- the air conditioner should not be covered with curtains and partitions for the reason described above;
air conditioning and heating devices must not be located nearby – high temperatures can adversely affect the operation of climatic equipment. An air conditioner cannot be mounted near heating radiators, boilers, electric heaters, boilers, refrigerators. Installation near a kitchen stove is highly discouraged: not only is it a source of hot air, but also the air conditioner (until it breaks down) will extinguish the flame of the gas stove with the air coming from it;
- it is advisable not to mount the air conditioner opposite the front door;
- in rooms where lathes and drills will constantly work, it is better not to install an air conditioner at all, since the equipment in such conditions will still quickly fail;
- it is best to install an air conditioner during repairs in an apartment – it will be much easier to neatly enter it and hide communications;
- the smaller the distance between the indoor and outdoor units of the air conditioner, the better. Firstly, installation is cheaper, secondly, there are fewer problems with masking the freon route, and thirdly, the efficiency of the system is higher. The optimal distance between the blocks is 5-10 m, it is possible less, but not more, therefore, the air conditioner is often placed on the wall where the window is located, or on the adjacent wall;
- if the windows face the sunny side, then it is necessary to position the air conditioner so that the cool air flows perpendicular to the hot air flows from the window;
- the indoor unit must be fitted into the interior so that it is almost invisible.
The smaller the room, the more difficult it is to find a suitable place to install the air conditioner, but in this case mobile devices can save.
No. 3. Where to install the air conditioner in the bedroom?
The optimal place for an air conditioner in the bedroom is the wall at the head of the bed, but the device is not hung directly above the bed, but on the side of the bed. In this case, cold air will concentrate closer to the feet of the vacationers, and not near the head.
An acceptable option is to position the air conditioner so that cool air flows perpendicular to the sleeping area and passes through the foot area.
You can also hang the air conditioner above the door. In this case, the block will not be conspicuous when entering the room, and if you leave the door open, then the coolness will spread beyond the bedroom. The only disadvantage of this option is the long freon track.
The most unfortunate options for placing the air conditioner in the bedroom include installing it opposite the bed, when cold air hits the heads of the vacationers, and opposite the front door, when the unit immediately catches the eye upon entering the room.
The window area is also suitable for placing an air conditioner, but you need to be extremely careful when choosing curtains. Massive structures will reduce the efficiency of the device if they disrupt the normal air circulation.
If you didn’t manage to find the perfect place, you can pay attention to the air conditioner with multidirectional air flow. In which case, the lower flap can be covered by directing cool air in one direction. In any case, it is best not to leave the air conditioner on overnight.
No. 4. Air conditioning in the living room and kitchen
When choosing a place for an air conditioner in the living room, you should follow the rules described above, but this, alas, is not always enough. In a room where households and guests gather, it is more important than anywhere else that the block is as inconspicuous as possible and literally dissolves into the interior. It is strongly discouraged to direct air onto sofas, armchairs and dining table.
In the kitchen, which is usually a very small space, it is difficult to fit an air conditioner, especially considering the numerous hazards in the form of a stove, refrigerator, radiators and speakers. If you cannot do without an air conditioner, then pay attention to the most compact and angular models.
No. 5. Air conditioner in the children’s room
In a children’s room, it is better not to install an air conditioner at all, as children are especially sensitive to the flow of cool air and can quickly get sick. If the heat is too hot, and there is nothing to breathe in the nursery, then a mobile air conditioner will be the way out. It can be turned on for a short time and direct the air flow to the safest place. In principle, if you turn on the air conditioner only when the children are not in the room, and use it to maintain the optimal temperature in the room, then you can install a split system, guided by the rules written above.
No. 6. How to properly fit the air conditioner into the interior?
Choosing the most suitable place for the air conditioner, as it turned out, is only half the battle. It is also important that the block does not stand out too much, but better – fits organically into the interior. It is impossible to hide the device behind a decorative panel or screen for the reasons described above, but there are several ways to fit the air conditioner into the room as organically as possible:
hide the block among other objects of a similar shape. A great option is to dissolve it among the wall shelves. Moreover, you can even select your own decorative shelf under the block, which will be located below the device itself, but at the same time repeat its shape;
- place the air conditioner above the window if the ceiling height allows it. A window is an element that attracts maximum attention, so you may not even notice the air conditioner against its background. If the room has two windows, then the block can be placed in the wall between them, additionally distracting the eye with spectacular curtains;
- choose the air conditioner unit in the color of the wall, then the device will stand out minimally. True, if paint of an unusual shade was used, it will be difficult to find a suitable device, and paint for plastic, which can be tinted clearly in tone, is not easy to find;
- embed a block or part of it into a niche or false beam;
- buy an air conditioner in the form of a picture. There are also such. You can’t guess right away.
No. 7. Outdoor unit location
The second mandatory part of the split system is the outdoor unit, and some rules are also put forward for its location:
- it should be readily available;
- on top of the block does not interfere with installing a visor to protect against precipitation and direct sunlight;
- there should be no trees within a radius of 0.5-1 m from the external block, otherwise, in the wind, branches and leaves may fall on the blades of the device;
- placing an outdoor unit on a glazed balcony is a bad idea, it can overheat and fail;
- the outdoor unit must not be installed near the gas pipeline. It can get very hot during operation, and high temperature and gas is a disaster.
However, a company specializing in the installation of air conditioners is responsible for the correct installation of the outdoor unit.
HVAC equipment is bought and installed for more than one, or even three years, so it is still worth taking a little time to select the most suitable place for the air conditioner, otherwise you may face constant colds and the need to outweigh the indoor unit, and this is again the wall chasing, mess and minor repairs.