Fences made of welded mesh and welded panels conquered by their low cost, ease of installation and durability. They are actively used for fencing private areas, warehouses, sports grounds, farmland and industrial enterprises, construction sites and kindergartens. Despite some simplicity and even the primitiveness of the design of such a fence, there are a lot of its varieties, which it does not interfere with before choosing a fence from a welded mesh.
Pros and cons of mesh fence
A fence of this kind is used, for the most part, to mark the boundaries of the territory, but if you correctly arrange the fence, then it can be made part of an interesting landscape design. A wide selection of mesh fences is presented on the website http://properimetr.ru… The company is engaged not only in the sale, but also in the production of fences, uses modern technologies and guarantees that its products will last at least 60 years.
The advantages of welded mesh fences include:
- affordable cost;
- simplicity and high speed of installation;
- the fence will not become an obstacle to sunlight and air flows, which will have a positive effect on the grown plants;
- the grid will not hide from you what is happening outside the site, so that you can admire the picturesque landscapes;
- durability from 10 to 50-60 years, it all depends on the type of coating. The galvanized mesh will not need constant maintenance and will last a very long time;
- low weight simplifies transportation and installation;
- the mesh withstands strong gusts of wind, is sufficiently strong, so that it can withstand the weight of a person or a climbing plant;
- safety for children due to the absence of sharp corners and harmful vapors.
- the fact that everything is clearly visible through the mesh is perceived by many as a disadvantage. A compromise solution is to put a grid where trees grow densely so that the site is not visible to outsiders;
- maximum height of the fence – 3.5 m;
- the mesh fence cannot be called unaesthetic, but in appearance it is inferior to many analogues;
- the design is unlikely to become a reliable barrier for intruders.
A welded mesh fence can be of absolutely any length, so any territory can be protected with it. Such structures are used for fencing private houses, industrial areas, construction sites, kindergartens and schools, sports grounds, etc. – there are a lot of examples.
In addition, welded mesh is actively used in agriculture when arranging corrals, cages, pastures and land.
In construction, welded mesh is used in the installation of road surfaces, paving slabs and building foundations to strengthen the structure and prevent mechanical damage.
Wire diameter and mesh shape
The welded mesh is made from steel wire. The latter is first leveled, and then cut into pieces of the required length, after which bends are formed with a bending machine, which will eventually become stiffeners. The final stage is spot welding, after which it is possible to apply a protective zinc layer, and possibly a polymer one.
The diameter of the wire in the welded mesh does not exceed 4 mm, and products made of wire with a diameter of 5-6 mm are usually called welded panels. Naturally, the thicker the wire, the stronger the structure is.
Cells of various shapes can be formed from wire, but the following options are usually used:
- square and rectangle;
- trapezoid (usually made to order).
Welded mesh (up to 4 mm in diameter) is transported in rolls. At the installation site, the roll is easily unfolded, and the mesh itself quickly comes into shape. Welded profiles are made of thicker and stronger wire, so that it cannot be bent into a roll – such products are transported in cards, i.e. finished sheets, which remain to be fixed to the support.
Mesh cover type
Depending on the availability and type of coverage, welded mesh fences are:
without a protective coating – the cheapest option that requires the most care. If you do not regularly renew the paintwork, the structure will quickly rust and become unusable;
galvanized mesh is not afraid of moisture due to the presence of a protective zinc coating. It can be applied to the wire, from which the mesh is then made, but more often the finished welded structure is galvanized. Zinc is applied by galvanic or hot method. The second option is somewhat more reliable, but also much more expensive;
some galvanized meshes receive PVC coating, thereby acquiring maximum durability. It turns out that zinc protects steel from corrosion, and polymer spraying protects the zinc coating. The durability of such products is up to 60 years or more. The polymer coating is usually made green, but other options can be found, and some manufacturers will custom-color the mesh in any shade of the RAL palette.
Welded mesh structure for a fence
The type of construction design affects both the strength and the visual appeal of the fence:
2D mesh is flat, has square or rectangular cells. It has no protrusions, bends and other relief elements, therefore it is cheaper, although it is inferior in strength to the 3D version;
The 3D mesh is distinguished by the presence of characteristic bends, which can be located both at the top of the structure and in any other place. Such elements play the role of stiffeners, strengthening the fence and making it look more interesting.
Mesh fence design
The design is most influenced by the diameter of the wire used to create the fence. Mesh fences can be divided into two types:
sectional fence, often referred to as European. Such a fence is built from welded panels that are delivered by cards. Manufacturers supply such products with all the necessary fasteners, thanks to which the fence is assembled very quickly, and special skills are not required. Durability and attractive appearance allowed the structures to be actively used in parks, for fencing office buildings, etc .;
a stretch fence is obtained from a less strong mesh, exactly the one that is transported in rolls. It costs less, but more difficult in terms of installation. We’ll have to build metal, wood or concrete pillars. Concrete supports are considered the most reliable and durable.
What is important to consider when choosing?
To make the fence strong and durable, when choosing, pay attention to the following nuances:
- strength depends not only on the thickness of the wire, but also on the size of the cell. A thicker rod and a smaller cell allow for a more robust structure;
- along the entire perimeter, the size of the cells and the thickness of the rod should be the same. In addition, the rods themselves must be even, without any defects;
- When examining, pay special attention to the integrity of the protective layer, because the durability of the entire structure depends on it;
- weld spots when unrolling the roll should not crack;
- all fasteners and other accessories must be well packed;
- the size of the grid is selected depending on the goals. The length of one roll can reach 30-50 m, and the width ranges from 0.5 to 2 m or more, and the height of the barrier depends on the width;
- availability of a certificate of conformity.
The easiest way is to install a welded fence using metal posts. The procedure will be as follows:
- marking of the territory. Pegs are driven into the locations of future corners. A twine is pulled between them, and then pegs are driven in at the same distance from each other in the places of future supports;
- a hole is dug under each support. The depth depends on the level of soil freezing, but usually stops at 1/4 of the height of the support itself. If the soil freezes deeper, then you will have to deepen the hole;
- a pillar is inserted into the prepared hole, set clearly vertically and poured with pre-prepared concrete. It is better to install spacers so that the pillar remains vertical even after the mortar has solidified. Particular attention is paid to the posts on the corner and those to which the gate will be attached;
- when the concrete finally hardens, you can proceed to the installation of the mesh. Special clips or brackets with a bolt and a nut are used as fasteners;
- most manufacturers include detailed installation instructions, so there should be no questions.
The process is described in more detail in the video.