The area in front of the garage is important when arranging the site. The correctness of the choice and execution of the entrance affects the convenience of its use as well as the attractiveness of the yard or the object as a whole. The arrangement of the site is important both when the garage is near the house, and when it is located in a separate cooperative, etc.
What is it for?
Everyone saw a familiar and convenient entrance in front of the garage. But few people thought about why it is needed:
- Improving safety and maintaining ease of entry and exit in any weather (excludes the appearance of dirt, large puddles, ice, etc.).
- Creation of an attractive appearance of a plot or a separate object.
- Prevent moisture from entering the garage due to the absence of puddles, etc.
The area in front of the garage can look different. The main thing is that it performs its basic functions, which were noted above. Next, we will consider the options and tricks for arranging individual components of the site under consideration.
Most often, there are three options:
One of the simpler solutions. In fact, this is a strip of concrete or asphalt, which is laid out from the garage, towards the road or exit at a slight angle. According to various sources, the angle can vary from 6 to 25 degrees. Such values allow moisture to drain freely, prevent the appearance of strong icing and do not greatly complicate parking.
It is a reinforced slab filled with cement-sand mortar. This option of arrangement involves several stages of work, but at the same time it allows you to get a flat surface that will maintain an attractive appearance for a long time and perform its main functions. To make a screed you need:
- Remove the top layer of soil.
- Lay in turn two layers of sand and tamp each of them and pour with water.
- Place a layer of gravel on top.
Linocrom is used to separate the screed and the foundation of the garage or other buildings
- Install the timber formwork.
- Pour concrete and crushed stone into the main part using a compactor.
- Next, lay out the reinforcement mesh.
- Prepare a solution without crushed stone from cement, sand and plasticizer and pour it to the top.
- Align everything into one level.
- Cover with foil.
For the best effect, the finished screed must be watered for another week, but protected from precipitation (for this, a film is used). With high humidity and no signs of drying out of the concrete under the film, you can water it with water for a couple of days. It is necessary to perform work in the warm season, when frosts are not expected. The finished board will acquire maximum strength within 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes it is recommended to use special pads for the width of the wheels: made of metal or other materials. They improve the grip of the tires and make the ride safer in any weather.
The screed can act as a leveling element if the soil is too loose and soft to use other options
This is a flat platform, located at a certain angle (according to the current SNiP 21-02-99, no more than 10%), which is used for the passage of cars (and not only) to high-altitude levels.
It is believed that the flatter the ramp, the more convenient it is to use. But this parameter is directly related to the area in front of the building and the features of the location of the garage itself (on a hill, in the basement, etc.)
- With a turn.
- With a rise.
- With descent.
For the convenience of use and the safety of the driver, walls or fences are used, which prevent possible exits from the ramp and the occurrence of emergency situations with a threat to life.
The length of the ramp is on average about 5 meters, and the width is 0.3-0.5 meters greater than the width of the gate.
To prevent water from entering the garage, they always equip a competent storm drain – most often this is an option, which is a side concrete groove under the grate. A simple, effective and aesthetic way to solve the problem. The depth of the grooves should be calculated based on the amount of precipitation in a particular area.
Also, the so-called counter-ramps help to cope with the ingress of precipitation into the room – they are placed in the direction in the opposite direction from the base of the ramp. They can be of different materials. The easiest to operate option is made of rubber. Among other things, such “assistants” simplify the entry, making it softer and smoother.
There are a lot of options and each has its own advantages, which we will consider:
Material for a simple and quick manufacture of a ramp requires boards, beams, a saw, self-tapping screws or, in extreme cases, nails. The tree is especially practical for country garages or objects that are used seasonally. Among the disadvantages: the need to update in 2-3 years, difficulties when using for cars with a very large weight (vans, trucks, etc.), a relatively unattractive appearance (against the background of a concrete or iron structure, such an installation will look simple and as if not in place).
To extend the period of use, you can use different moisture-proof impregnations, paint, or hide in a dry place every time after use.
Another option from the category of “cheap and cheerful”, which is suitable for arranging very short runs. The main thing to consider is the weight of the car and the soil in front of the garage. Based on this, you need to choose a sheet or lattice of the required thickness. If you choose a product that is too thin, you can use it 1-2 times, and then if you are lucky. The race can be either monolithic or consist of two separate lanes located in accordance with the width of the wheels.
To extend the life of products, you should choose anti-corrosion alloys, as well as a special paint for coating. If possible, this option should be chosen if there is a canopy in front of the entrance in order to minimize the effect of precipitation.
One of the most commonly used materials. Depending on the frequency and abundance of precipitation in the region, as well as on the presence of a canopy over the arrival, different grades of concrete are chosen. Usually they stop at 300, 400 or 500, and it is recommended to take sand from the river with a fraction of 1-1.5, water without excess salts and acids, relatively neutral. The solution must be laid following the technology. So that the finished work retains its working condition as long as possible – it does not deform from temperature drops and a large amount of precipitation, soil freezing, etc. And also did not crumble.
Or asphalt chips are a simple and practical option. Requires accounting for a specific technology. Before the layer of asphalt, you need to make a pillow, at least from rubble. For the maximum period of trouble-free operation, it is worth compacting the crumb well – for this you can use the services of specialists or rent an asphalt paver, if there is such an opportunity.
Such platforms are moisture resistant, easily tolerate interaction with salt and other substances, as well as temperature changes, and have good grip on tires.
Usually used in the form of small ramps or just a top cover. With its help, the concrete base is protected from precipitation and UV radiation, which makes it possible to extend the use of the drive in general.
One of the most difficult to prepare, but interesting external ways of arranging the site in front of the garage. Among the advantages of the material in question:
- Wear resistance.
- Moisture resistance.
- Aesthetic look.
- Resistance to temperature extremes.
For tiling, as a rule:
- The topsoil is removed.
- Create a cushion of sand, rubble as needed.
- Laying geotextiles.
- Tiles are laid on top of the layer of cement mortar.
- Ramp down.
Reinforced concrete slabs
In some cases, this approach is also used. They simply lay out the slabs at the desired angle, using cement to fix and finish the convenient sills of mini-ramps. The main thing is to think over the entire structure correctly so that it is stable. Otherwise, the owner of a car and garage runs the risk of getting a short-lived entry, which will simply sag through time. Or a scratched / dented machine, which, with its weight, will one day move the plate and fall or roll with it.
Multifunctional element of the area in front of the garage. It can be represented by several options separately or by a complex of 2-3 solutions:
- A conventional lighting system, consisting of several lights that are switched on together with the street or separately from the garage or house.
- A system that can be activated remotely before arriving directly at the site using a separate remote control or smartphone.
If the owner arrives at about the same time on weekdays, then special automation and programming systems can be used to automatically turn on at a specific time
- Lamps built into the ground or the site itself. This solution is often used in thoughtful landscape design, as it allows you to play up the space in different ways.
- Lamps that react to movement. It is also a practical and convenient option for those who arrive at different times and do not want to manually turn on the lighting.
- Lights that turn on a twilight relay, which is triggered when the illumination decreases to a certain level.
Flashlights, built-in lamps or spotlights – it doesn’t matter. For the system to work, it is important to take care of:
- Protection from moisture. These should either be special luminaires with protection against water – now there are many options in both regular and online stores.
- Protect from vandals and thieves. Especially if the building is not on the site, but in a cooperative, etc.
- Light color. White or yellow lamps are often used. One option looks more “sterile”, colder, while the other looks warmer and more pleasant.
Far from being the most functional addition, but together with lighting it can play a significant role in the aesthetic design.
These can be plants, clay and other figurines, fountains, etc. As a rule, these are thoughtful parts of the landscape design of the entire site and their main role is to decorate. In the case of the area under consideration, they should be comfortable and not interfere with the arrival.
Also in this category is the canopy. This is a part that will not only decorate the entrance, but will also perform a protective function – to reduce the amount of precipitation that falls on the site and on the car, as well as reduce the influence of sunlight, etc. Such a canopy will also be convenient if the garage was originally conceived for one car, but in the end two are used. Or guests often come in their cars.
What to consider when choosing the type of entry
In order for the approach to solving the issue to be correct, the following factors must be taken into account:
- The type of soil on the site. Clay and sand require a different approach.
- Incline. Down or up for different garage layouts, etc.
- The weight of the car and other equipment that will stand or drive around the site.
- The number of machines used.
- The amount of precipitation in a particular region.
- The budget that can be allocated for the arrangement of this site.
- Smoothness of the level difference of the road or driveway and garage.
- Possibility to use additional non-slip coating on a permanent or seasonal basis.
In case you are in doubt, or would like to clarify something, you should look for a master or even a company that works in the construction industry. Experience in working with similar tasks, knowledge of materials and their properties, awareness of the current GOSTs, SNiPs, etc. – will be the key to a quick and correct task completion.