Everyone has probably heard at least once that there are special design tricks that allow you to turn a small room almost into a palace. Of course, such stunning results can be achieved only with the help of redevelopment or magic, but you can visually make the room a little more spacious and less cramped. There are many tricks, and wallpaper is still considered one of the most effective, but not everyone can cope with this task and really visually enlarge the room – you will need wallpaper that expands the space. What do they look like and what to consider when choosing? Let’s figure it out together!
Basic rules for using photo wallpaper
There are an unlimited number of photo wallpapers on the market, but not all of them are able to expand the space. What’s more, even those that work well for increasing space in one room will be completely useless in another room. Each room requires an individual approach, and the smaller it is, the more carefully one should approach the choice. For example, a photo wallpaper with a large flower on the wall of a tiny room will play a cruel joke – the room will only seem smaller.
So what kind of wallpaper can really expand the space in a small room? Designers are advised to consider the following rules when choosing:
- the main task of all techniques aimed at expanding space is the erasure of boundaries or their transfer, as it were, outside the premises. For these purposes, panels with a perspective work best, incl. those with a horizon line;
- light shades expand the space well, dark ones work the other way around. This is a fundamental rule that almost everyone knows and uses;
- if it is necessary to stretch the room in height, then use wallpaper with vertical stripes, but you should not take this information literally, because vertical stripes can be tree trunks or skyscrapers in the image of megacities. To visually stretch the room in width, take wallpaper with horizontal stripes, for which the horizon lines in landscape images work well;
- the texture of the wallpaper is also important, since smooth glossy canvases due to the reflective properties, although slightly, expand the space of the room;
- it is worth noting separately 3D wallpaper, which, due to a special printing technology and the correct choice of colors, seem three-dimensional. They expand the space well, which will be discussed below, but in especially small rooms you need to be extremely careful with them, since the 3D effect can be assessed only from a certain distance, and if it is not enough in the room, then the effect will be exactly the opposite – the image will crush and even annoy, and it will be difficult to find in such a room for a long time;
- in the desire to maximize the space, one must not overdo it. For example, the combination of photo wallpaper with perspective, multiple mirror and reflective surfaces, the mass of lamps is a direct way to create a room where it will be impossible to spend time;
- photowall-paper, expanding the space, is a rather active element of the interior, therefore the rest of the finishing elements should be calmer. This primarily applies to the flooring and the design of the remaining walls.
Where to glue the wallpaper to expand the space?
Alas, choosing the right wallpaper is not all. To achieve the desired result, it is also necessary to place them correctly, because not on all walls such a finish will work the way we want it. Besides, the walls are not the only place, there is also a ceiling and doors.
When choosing a place for gluing photo wallpaper, we recommend that you follow the following tips:
- if the room is not square, then it is better to glue the wallpaper on a long wall. Otherwise, a narrow long room will seem even narrower and even longer, i.e. the effect of expanding the space will be, but it is unlikely to please you;
- it is desirable to place the wallpaper on a free wall. Even if the correct subject and the appropriate wall are chosen, the effect can be ruined by placing a bunch of furniture near the wall with photo wallpaper. The border of the room will return to its usual place again, and all efforts will be in vain. Of course, in a small room hardly anyone will be able to afford the luxury of leaving one of the walls completely unfurnished, but try to use it as little as possible and stop choosing lower and less bulky items;
- for wallpaper with perspective, choose a wall without windows and doors. It probably doesn’t even make sense to explain why this is so;
- Photo wallpaper is not only a decoration for walls. A well-chosen ceiling wallpaper can stretch the room. Typically, images of the sky are used;
- also photo wallpaper can be used for door decoration. The effect cannot be compared with what is obtained when glued to an entire wall, but it will still allow you to visually increase the space of the room.
What should be shown?
This question worries everyone in the first place. There are a lot of options, and you can hardly list all the possible ones, but we will try. Photo wallpaper that expands the space usually depicts the following:
- trails, paths, roads, streets stretching into the distance, a. the landscape can be both natural and urban;
- bridges and bridges;
- rivers and streams;
- colonnades are worth highlighting – they create an incredible expansion effect;
- a panoramic view of the sea coast, a cozy street, a metropolis, a lavender field;
- open windows and doors overlooking a beautiful landscape. Note the wallpaper, in the lower part of which the floor covering is painted. If you choose the appropriate decoration for the room, you can create a very decent expansion effect;
- pillars of trees, bamboo groves.
There are, of course, much more options, so it is difficult to make a choice. Always consider not only the momentary “want” and “like”, but also the features of the interior, its color scheme, the chosen style. It is highly desirable to support the drawing with pieces of furniture or interior design.
Photo wallpaper 3D
We should also highlight photowall-paper with 3D effect. The image on them can be almost anything, incl. the abovementioned colonnades, arches, urban and natural landscapes. Geometric patterns, abstractions, flowers, cartoon characters and cosmic depths are also often depicted on three-dimensional wallpaper.
Three-dimensional differs from ordinary photo wallpaper in that the pattern in them is perceived as three-dimensional, it has not only width and height, but also depth. That is why such panels are often used when it is necessary to visually enlarge the space of a room. On the other hand, such a depth of the image can be destructive, because if the room is already small, and the drawing is created as if it sticks out, then there will be a feeling that the space has become even smaller. However, even a correct drawing, which takes the boundaries of a room beyond its real limits, may also not fit – just the effect of volume must be assessed from a distance, and if it is not enough, then there is no sense in three-dimensional wallpaper.
However, in most cases, you can choose the right 3D wallpaper. The effect of depth in them is created through the following techniques:
- high quality printing;
- image processing in special programs;
- the use of texture elements;
- artistic techniques. It has been proven that objects of warm shades are perceived by the eyes as being closer, and objects of cold tones – further away. The creation of three-dimensional images is based on this. In addition, you can get a picture with depth if you make the central object lighter than the background, use tonal and linear perspective, use the play of light and shadow.
You cannot even imagine what amazing results can be achieved with the help of three-dimensional panels. The range of such panels is huge, you can choose an image of any type and any shade. If you still can’t find a suitable picture, we recommend ordering photo wallpaper 3D from Valdeco – the company, in addition to a huge selection of ready-made solutions, offers the production of photowall-paper according to the client’s order. This is a great opportunity to make your interior unique!
Photo wallpaper color
Everyone knows that light shades allow you to visually enlarge the space, and dark ones make it more cramped. If you are looking for information about wallpaper that expands the space, then, most likely, a place in your apartment is in a shortage of free space, therefore it is advisable to adhere to the following rules when choosing a color for photo wallpaper:
- it is clear that only light wallpaper should be considered, but think carefully before taking white canvases, because you can create the effect of a hospital room;
it is better not to use bright shades, as well as saturated dark ones, as the main color – they will visually bring the wall closer, making the room even smaller;
cold shades tend to visually move the wall away, and warm ones – to bring it closer. Knowing this, you can correct the geometry of the room. In our case, it is better to deal with cold tones. An exception to the rule is pale unsaturated shades of yellow, peach, beige, milky;
- rooms facing north usually suffer from a lack of sunlight, and you can compensate for it using wallpaper in warm colors. Canvases made in light pastel colors are ideal (for example, the above-mentioned light peach, unsaturated yellow, milky shades). If there is already plenty of sunlight in the room, then your choice is cold shades.
Finally, the wallpaper should not be detached from the general color scheme of the room. The expanding effect will be achieved only when the wallpaper becomes part of the room, therefore if the panel, for example, depicts a path in a blooming garden, then a pot of flowers can be placed near the wall, and a photo of the Provencal street can be supplemented with a light openwork table.
Even such a seemingly trifle as the texture of photo wallpaper can affect their perception of space. There are not very many options, and all of them, to one degree or another, are suitable for small rooms:
- smooth panels are a win-win option. The surface can be matte or glossy. The latter is often recommended for use in small rooms, because it is able to reflect light, thereby increasing the space, but be careful, because it will not be very comfortable to be in a room with a lot of glare, therefore if you choose glossy wallpaper, then everything else in the room should be matte … In addition, it is necessary to organize the lighting correctly so that there is a beautiful shine, but there is no unnecessary glare;
- textures “dust” and “sand” have a fine grain, can be easily used in small rooms;
- the texture “linen” imitates the surface of dense fabric;
- textures “canvas” and “plaster” have a more pronounced volume, therefore they are not always appropriate in cases when there is a need to expand the space, but can be used in some parts of three-dimensional panels.
Wall murals on the ceiling
Wall murals are capable of pushing the walls apart, if, of course, they are correctly selected. But what if you need to raise the ceiling in the room? Suitable ceiling wall murals can be glued. The choice of images, as in the case of wall options, is huge, but if you need to expand the space, it is better to choose the following patterns:
- sky with clouds or stars;
- tree crowns;
- tops of skyscrapers;
- abstraction, but not all.
All these images visually bring the border of the ceiling out of the room, and this is what we need. Floral arrangements and frescoes are often unsuccessful when it comes to expanding the space.
Ceiling wall murals allow you to create a unique interior, but they have only one minus – the difficulty in gluing.
Wallpaper on the door
The interior door, although it has a small area, can still save the situation when it is necessary to expand the space. Wall murals on the door are inexpensive, they are simply mounted, they have a huge choice, however, they must be glued on a perfectly flat surface, i.e. this solution is not for every door.
To expand the space with photo wallpaper on the door, you should choose the following images:
- natural landscapes with perspective and paths;
- cityscapes, especially colonnades, steps, bridges;
- three-dimensional abstractions.
Finally, we note that expanding photowall-paper is an excellent solution for any room. They work equally well in bedrooms, living rooms and nurseries, bathrooms, hallways and kitchens. The main thing is to choose the right pattern and color scheme, which, thanks to our advice, will not be difficult to do.