Wall murals are increasingly used to decorate the interior of a room. It does not matter whether the design of the room is planned independently or with the help of specialists. It is only important to choose the right drawing, its color scheme and the location of the photo canvas. In today’s article, you will find tips on how to choose wallpaper for the hallway. We will consider their types, give recommendations regarding the choice of material and the selection of a pattern for a specific style of interior. We will also tell you what kind of wallpaper to choose for narrow and elongated hallways with low ceilings.
What are the wallpapers
All the unimaginable variety of photowall-paper offered on the construction market can be conditionally divided into three main groups depending on the type of image.
Standard wallpaper. We mean canvases with a “flat” image as, for example, in a painting. The easiest way to mount such wallpapers is to do it yourself. They can be used to create decorative elements in the form of large wall paintings in beautiful frames or false windows. In addition, standard wallpapers will be more affordable;
3-D photo wallpaper. The picture on such canvases has volume and looks “like living”. The plot of such wallpaper can be very diverse. Canvases with large geometric shapes, large flowers, drops or abstraction have gained immense popularity. In addition, a natural or urban landscape can be depicted from a perspective. Such a choice of pattern will be successful for a small room, which needs to be made more spacious visually;
LED wallpaper. These are the most expensive and difficult canvases in terms of installation. They are a system consisting of LEDs, a control panel, a power supply and a controller. Using the remote control, the user can change the intensity and color of the backlight or turn it off altogether. It is worth noting that this is not just a kind of unusual finish, but also an additional light source. Such wallpapers will be a good design for a dark hallway.
Like ordinary wallpaper, photo canvas can have a different base material.
Paper photo wallpaper. These are the most affordable and environmentally friendly canvases. Most often they are used to decorate the interior of children’s rooms. Actually, this is where their advantages end. Paper wallpapers are very difficult to install. They are very fragile and can simply get wet from the glue and distort the image. You can easily tear them if you have never glued paper wallpaper yourself before. In this case, the end result is unlikely to please you. Such wallpapers cannot be wet cleaned, and the quality of the image itself on a paper basis is not the best. And if your hallway is combined with the living room and a sufficient amount of sunlight enters it, paper wallpapers can quickly fade under the influence of ultraviolet radiation;
Textile photowall-paper. Such a base is very durable, the image on it is very clear, and the colors are bright and rich. However, the fabric is capable of rapidly accumulating dust and does not tolerate mechanical cleaning;
Vinyl wallpaper. These are durable, moisture resistant, fade-resistant fabrics. They adhere quite easily and do not deform during installation. This preserves the geometry of the image. The pattern of vinyl photo wallpaper will be clear and rich. This explains the high cost of such paintings. But remember that vinyl is an airtight material;
Non-woven photowall-paper. This basis is environmentally friendly. It allows air to pass through, which eliminates the possibility of mold formation under it. Non-woven wallpaper is a very durable coating, it lends itself to wet cleaning without damage to the image, does not fade and maintain dimensional stability when glued.
When choosing a material, it is necessary to take into account not only the cost of wallpaper, but also the conditions of their use. If fotoopolona will be mounted in close proximity to the front door, it should be noted that they will be constantly exposed to various types of contamination. These are splashes of water from wet clothes or an umbrella, and fingerprints, if you are used to putting on / off your shoes, leaning on a wall, and dirty splashes from shoes or after walking your dog in bad weather. Consequently, the wallpaper will often have to be wiped with a damp sponge. The best choice for the hallway would be vinyl or non-woven wallpaper. If the photo canvas will be mounted on the opposite wall from the front door or used to create paintings or false windows, paper varieties are also suitable. The main thing is that they are not exposed to direct sunlight.
What determines image quality
How clear and saturated the image will be depends not only on the base material, but also on the paint used in the production.
Today, three types of paints are most often used for the production of photo wallpaper:
Eco-solvent. They are the most affordable and environmentally friendly. Such an image will be the least resistant to external influences and the least durable. And the canvases themselves will have a rather noticeable unpleasant odor, which will disappear only 7-8 days after printing;
Latex. They have a higher cost and safer composition. The image applied with latex ink is resistant to fading and moisture, dries quickly and practically does not have an unpleasant odor;
Ultraviolet. They are the most expensive. It is possible to achieve maximum brightness and saturation of the image with the help of this type of paint. The finished drawing is the most durable. The surface is not erased, does not fade in the sun, does not deteriorate under the influence of moisture.
Advantages and disadvantages
Before finally making a choice in favor of using photo wallpaper in the hallway, one should take into account the advantages and disadvantages of this type of finish.
The disadvantages include:
- Higher cost compared to conventional wallpaper;
- More complex installation. Indeed, in order for the picture to be clear and even, the canvases should be very precisely joined together;
- The need to level the surface. Any photo wallpaper needs to be glued only on a perfectly flat base. This may incur additional costs. If the walls in the hallway are so uneven that it is not possible to remove the plane with a putty, plasterboard cladding or equipment of a special niche for photo canvas may be required. At the same time, the useful area of the room will decrease;
- The huge assortment of images can make it difficult to choose. After all, wallpaper should be suitable not only for the general style of the room, but also for the general color scheme;
- Photo canvases can get bored quickly. Therefore, you should choose a drawing very carefully. To avoid such a nuisance, it is advised to choose neutral images. Landscapes and various natural elements are almost a win-win option.
On the positive side:
- First of all, it is, of course, an opportunity to create a truly extraordinary and unique design. As you know, the entrance hall is the first room from which the acquaintance of guests with your home begins. And in this case, you have the opportunity to demonstrate your excellent taste and rich imagination;
- With the help of a well-chosen pattern, you can visually increase the space, align the geometry of the room and slightly “raise” the height of the ceiling;
- Wall murals can be either a standard size or can be made to order according to your sizes. This will allow you to most accurately fit the finish into the interior and select canvases even for the most modest hallways;
- You can order a photo wallpaper that will show your personal photo or any image you like.
Features of the choice of colors
Feature of photo wallpaper is that their color scheme is a set of a large number of colors and shades.
In order for the wallpaper to successfully complement the interior, and not spoil it, you must adhere to the recommendations regarding the choice of their color:
- If the hallway is small in size and sunlight does not penetrate into it, preference should be given to canvases on which light colors prevail;
- If one small wall or a fragment of it will be pasted over with photo wallpaper, it is permissible to use bright shades. This technique will help create a visual accent and add volume to the room;
- If the photocloths will be mounted on the entire, longest wall, then their color scheme should be almost identical to the color of the finishing of other walls. For example, if the hallway is finished in sand or beige tones, it would be wise to choose an image with a sepia or antique effect.
Wallpaper drawing and interior style
It is very important to choose wallpaper in such a way that the image on them is in harmony with the general style of the hallway. For example:
- Small corridors are often decorated in modern styles to make the interior laconic and simple. For styles such as hi-tech, loft, minimalism, abstract images, urban landscapes in black and white, 3-D drawings with geometric elements, brick or stone patterns, stairs are suitable. But you should be careful with the size of the elements shown. Wallpaper with very large patterns is not recommended for use in small corridors. This will only emphasize the limited space;
- The popular New Eco style will perfectly complement landscapes with the image of a forest or beautiful flowers against a neutral background, an image of the sky or a blooming field;
Marine or Scandinavian style will help emphasize wallpaper with a pattern in a marine theme;
Ethnic styles include a selection of thematic images such as African animals, Egyptian pharaohs, sphinxes or deserts, Chinese characters, Japanese dragons, cherry blossoms or sakura branches, etc .;
- Timeless classical style will be perfectly complemented by images with vertical or horizontal lines, old streets with stone roads, cozy city landscapes, frescoes and reproductions of famous paintings;
The Provence style is successfully emphasized by wallpaper with a floral motif, images of birds, French landscapes or the view from small windows of a rural house to blooming lavender fields.
Note! In order for the interior with photo wallpaper not to look clumsy, the rest of the finish should be monochromatic.
Wall murals and geometry of the hallway
With the help of photo wallpaper, you can smooth out some imperfections in the geometry of the room.
- If there are low ceilings in the hallway and you need to visually raise them, you should choose wallpaper in the picture of which there are vertical lines or which have a lighter tone closer to the top. It can be an abstraction, a fragment of a forest with high tree trunks reaching into the sky, vertical flights of stairs or floor-to-ceiling windows, waterfalls, etc.;
- If the room is narrow and too elongated, images with horizontal lines will help bring two opposite walls closer to each other;
- If the corridor opposite is too compressed, on the opposite entrance door the wall should be placed with wallpaper depicting a forest path going deep into the forest and other pictures with a perspective effect.
Where to stick the photo canvas
Quite a lot of furniture is often placed in the hallway. This is a large wardrobe, a shelf for storing shoes, a hanger with a pouf, etc. And there is no place for placing photo wallpaper at all. In this case, in order to avoid the effect of overloading the interior, it is not recommended to paste over all the remaining free walls with photocloths. It is better to select a small fragment of the wall, no more than a meter wide, and decorate it with the image you like. You can also make a large picture from photo wallpaper, and choose the color of the frame several tones darker than the main finish.
- If the transition between the corridor and the adjacent room is made in the form of an arched opening, you can place photo wallpaper around the arch. In this case, you should choose an image with a medium-sized, repeating pattern. An interesting solution would be wallpaper imitating bookshelves, especially if the interior is made in a classic style;
- Often on the wall opposite the front door is a doorway leading to the bathroom. But if this is the only free space, you can glue the wallpaper right on the door. First you need to remove the door leaf, unscrew all the fittings and clean the surface.