You can select furniture and paint color for a very long time, and still choose the best and highest quality, but the design will hardly be called complete if the walls are too empty. Cluttering them with all kinds of shelves, mirrors and stickers is also not an option. Modular paintings help maintain balance. The idea of dividing one image into several parts allows you to successfully fit such a decor into a room of any size and purpose. But! This does not mean that the first picture you see will suit you. Let’s figure out together how to use modular paintings in the interior and how to make the right choice so that the result will exceed all your expectations.
What is a diptych and a triptych? Types of modular paintings
You probably already guessed that a modular picture consists of several parts – modules. Theoretically, there can be any number of these parts, but usually there is a variant with 2-5 modules, less often their number reaches 9. The shape of individual parts can also be any, but more often they are squares and rectangles.
The main thing is a common plot for all modules. It can be one image divided into several parts – the most common option. Another approach is that all modules are made in the same style, have a common style and color scheme, but are not part of the same image. This is often used for abstract and floral images.
Usually, fragments are not inserted into frames so that the integrity of the perception of the image is not disturbed.
Depending on the number of parts, modular paintings are of the following types:
The size, number and arrangement of parts relative to each other can be anything and depends only on the imagination of the designer or artist.
Modular paintings from Walldeco
In Ukraine Modular pictures in the widest range are presented in the Walldeco online store. The theme, size and number of modules – all this for every taste. The store offers very original layouts of modules. The highest quality materials are used for the production of paintings. If suddenly you cannot find a suitable option, the painting can be made to order and delivered to any corner of Ukraine.
Despite the fact that the size of the modules can be anything, there are some rules that will allow you to choose the most successful picture. Fortunately, most of the products on sale comply with these rules.
- Each side of the module must be at least 30 cm, otherwise it will be difficult to consider anything.
- The width of the entire composition is from 1.2 to 1.7 m.
- The height of the composition is from 0.4 to 1.2 m.
There are exceptions to the last two rules.
Important! The lines along which the modules are divided must correspond to the plot so that the modular picture looks harmonious. Do not forget to rate paintings by this parameter, as the stores are full of items where objects are literally chopped to pieces. Such a picture will obviously not become a decoration.
In the overwhelming majority of cases, the modules have a square or rectangular shape, and modules of different shapes and sizes can be combined in one picture.
The most popular combinations of modules:
- all modules are square, of the same size;
- all modules are rectangular, of the same size. They can be hung both in one line and with a ladder;
- all modules are rectangular, of different sizes. Pictures of complex shapes are formed from such modules;
- the combination of squares and rectangles creates a complete mosaic on the wall. Such an art object will certainly become the highlight of the room.
Positioning the modules on the wall
Their arrangement relative to each other depends on the size and shape of the modules, and the perception of the picture and the influence of the picture on the room depend on the arrangement, in turn.
The modules can be arranged as follows:
horizontally as standard – parts of the picture hang at the same height, in one flat horizontal line. The modules in this case are square or rectangular, of the same size. If there is a need to visually raise the ceilings, choose modules that are elongated in length, and if they have a drawing with vertical lines on them, then this is a jackpot. And vice versa, ate ceilings are already high, and the room is narrow or small, it is better to stay on equilateral identical modules;
vertically – the modules are attached one under the other. Whole paintings with such an arrangement are more difficult to find, but you can purchase modules that are connected only stylistically – they can be hung as you like. The vertical arrangement of the elements visually stretches the room, which means it will help to visually raise the ceilings;
ladder. In this case, there are several options. The most popular – the central module is the largest, and the height of the fragments decreases from the center to the edges. There is also a scheme when the highest fragment is extreme, and the rest are located lower and lower. The highest module in the “ladder” may be the second out of five – thus interesting patterns are formed;
geometric. A square or other geometric figure is formed from the modules. More often in this case, the elements are united by a common theme and style, and not by one plot;
asymmetric. The modules are located, as it were, chaotically, at different heights, while they have completely different shapes. One gets the impression of a well-organized chaos, because parts of the picture, as a rule, are connected by one plot.
Use tricks to correct the room. The vertical arrangement of the modules and the vertical lines on them will raise the ceiling. A horizontally stretched layout diagram will help expand the room. Use perspective and panoramic images to visually enlarge the room. Neat with bright and large images – they can make a small room even smaller.
Modular painting color
Color can be used to decorate a room, it can also negate all your previous design efforts. Modular paintings can be full-color and black and white, and between these two options there are a lot of transitional ones. Full-color paintings are bright and juicy, or they can be in pastel and muted shades, they can have a lot of tones and halftones, or maybe only 2-3 primary colors. Black and white models are more restrained, but they can also have a highlight in the form of a color accent.
How to choose the right color for a modular painting? Consider your own preferences, but do not forget about the ability of color to influence the mood and perception of the room. Therefore, we will give some tips:
- for rooms made in a modern style, monochrome images are often suitable, one color accent is allowed, which will coincide with the accent color in the decoration and decor;
- if the decoration of the room is boring, the room clearly lacks colors, then it is better to take a full-color picture;
- For the brightest, most abstract and daring canvases, a place in public spaces – in the living room or dining room. In the bedroom, such a riot of colors will tire, in the office – distract;
- ideally, if the color of the picture matches some element of decoration or decor.
Modular picture in the interior of different rooms
Modular paintings are a versatile interior decoration. Thanks to the incredible variety of images, colors, sizes and number of modules, you can always find the most suitable option. As for the subject matter, natural and urban landscapes, images of animals and plants, abstract drawings, still lifes and portraits are most often used.
Almost any painting can be used in the living room. For a large room – from 4 or more modules, for a miniature – from 2-3. A great place – above the sofa or above the TV. Modular paintings allow you to place accents, and if you need to draw attention, for example, to the fireplace, then it is better to place the decor there. Image subject – any. For an apartment in a high-rise building, a cityscape with skyscrapers is well suited, for a living room in an ethnic style – with African motives, and a reproduction of an impressionist artist will perfectly fit into the Art Nouveau style. Natural and floristic landscapes will always come in handy, but it is better to build on the style and theme of the interior.
In the bedroom, calmer images are appropriate, the optimal place is above the head of the bed. Take a closer look at monochrome modules and paintings in pastel shades. The topic is practically any, from abstraction and still life to landscapes and plant motifs.
In the kitchen, modular paintings look especially good in the dining area. A popular option is images of fruits, rolls, coffee. Floral motifs, as well as urban and natural landscapes are also perfect.
Modular paintings can also be used in the children’s room. For younger kids, these can be images of cartoon characters, and schoolchildren will like maps, airplanes, animals, beautiful landscapes. Do not forget to take into account not only the age and gender of the child, but also his hobbies.
Minimalist paintings look good in the hallway. Since the hallways are usually small, pay attention to the paintings from narrow and long fragments – they will not take up much space and will stretch the room.
Monochrome paintings with the image of space, world maps, seascapes look great in the office. Abstractions and reproductions of paintings are perfect.
What else to consider when choosing a modular painting?
To make the modular picture fit perfectly into the interior and look like a harmonious decoration, consider the following nuances when choosing and installing:
- the best background is a plain surface, ideally a painted or plastered wall;
- the size of the picture is directly proportional to the size of the wall and the whole room as a whole. The larger the room and the more free space on the wall, the more the painting is chosen;
- the central part is optimally hung at the eye level of the viewer;
- the space between the modules is an important tool that allows you to change the mood of the image, making it more static (small distance between fragments) or dynamic;
- if the modules are united only by style and theme (and not by plot), but at the same time each of the parts has a horizon line, it is better to hang them in one row horizontally;
- you can highlight the picture with a separate highlight. It will be especially relevant in rooms with a lack of lighting;
- all modules must be in their places in order for them to form an integral picture, therefore, the installation of a modular picture will have to be given a little more attention than a usual one. It is better to mark in advance with a pencil the places where the fragments will hang.
And finally, a few more options for placing modular paintings.