FaceTime is now also available for Android: From iOS 15 or macOS Monterey, iPhone and Mac owners can also invite Android and Windows users to their FaceTime calls. You can find out how this works and what you know about it in this guide.
For a long time, FaceTime only worked in the Apple cosmos. The app for video calls could only be used on iPhones, iPads and Macs. Since the release of iOS 15 and macOS Monterey, iPhone and Mac owners can also invite Android and Windows users to FaceTime calls. Using a previously generated link, Windows and Android users can then take part in FaceTime conferences directly via their browser.
However, it does not work the other way around. As an Android or Windows user, you can only participate in FaceTime calls, but you cannot start them yourself. You can now find out exactly how you invite people to FaceTime using Android smartphones and Windows PCs.
In order to take part in a FaceTime call with an Android smartphone or Windows PC, the invited persons only need a FaceTime link.
Before you can invite your friends and family to FaceTime calls, you must first install iOS 15 / iPadOS 15 on your iPhone or iPad. If you want to use your Mac for FaceTime, you need macOS Monterey accordingly. If the operating systems are already installed, proceed as follows:
- Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac and tap “Create Link”.
- Tap “Add Name” and enter a name for your conference. In this way, the invited people know directly which call they are participating in.
- Now choose how you want to send the link to the FaceTime call to the participants. Depending on which apps you have installed on your device, you will now be offered various options such as WhatsApp, Teams or even email and SMS. Then send the link to all participants.
Your work as a conference creator is now done, now you just have to wait for all participants.
Windows and Android users can take part in FaceTime calls from their browser.
If you receive a link to a FaceTime call from an Apple user, you can simply participate:
- Click the FaceTime link.
- In the new window, enter the name with which you would like to take part in the FaceTime call and confirm with “Continue”.
- When you join a FaceTime conference for the first time, your browser asks you for permission to use your microphone and camera for the call. Click “Allow” so that the other participants can see and hear you.
- Then tap on “Join”. Now you just have to wait for the creator of the call to approve you for the call.
- Since iOS 15 and macOS Monterey, Apple users can also invite friends with Windows PCs or Android smartphones to FaceTime.
- Android and Windows users cannot create their own FaceTime calls; they can only be invited to calls.
- In order to invite an Android or Windows user to a FaceTime call, you have to generate a link in FaceTime and send it to the desired contacts via an app of your choice.
- Invited users must open the FaceTime link received, enter a name and, if necessary, confirm that they are using the microphone and camera for the video call.
- After the invited persons have clicked on “Join”, the creator of the call still has to approve the respective users for the video conference. After that, the FaceTime call will start.