The selection of finishing materials for a nursery is a responsible and complex process, because this room, like no other, should be safe and comfortable. When it comes to choosing a floor covering, a number of criteria should be taken into account: it must be environmentally friendly, but better made of natural materials, not cold, so that the child is comfortable playing on the floor. In addition, the coating should be non-slip and not cause serious mechanical damage when dropped, and considering the games of children, it should also be easy to clean. It is desirable that the material is fireproof, moisture resistant, hypoallergenic and resistant to scratches and chips. Do not forget about the aesthetic component, because the taste is formed from childhood. What kind of flooring meets these requirements?
# 1. Wooden floor
What could be more natural than wood? This is the most environmentally friendly coating that does not emit harmful substances and is not capable of causing allergies. Wooden flooring usually means solid plank and block parquet, the difference between which is only in length. The advantages of a wooden floor include:
- environmental friendliness;
- excellent appearance;
- high strength and durability with proper care, the ability to remove the top layer and use the coating over and over again;
- conifers emit special substances with antibacterial properties that will have a positive effect on the health of the child;
- high heat and sound insulation properties, warm surface.
Among the disadvantages of this solution, it is worth noting:
- the need for constant treatment with special means of protection against mold and moisture. True, you will have to select those products that are as safe as possible for children;
- it is easy to leave dents and scratches on the wood, therefore, for active and restless children, this option, if possible, is only if it is combined with a rug in the play and work area, or if the child is very neat and plays little at home, or is it a teenager;
- sensitivity to moisture: all spilled liquids must be wiped up immediately, it is better not to let them fall on the floor and protect the material in time with appropriate means.
# 2. Parquet board
Parquet board is a kind of compromise between naturalness, cost and performance. Many experts call the parquet board ideal for children’s rooms. All of its properties are based on structural features. The material is a three-layer board, consisting of two layers of cheap wood (usually conifers) and an outer decorative layer made of fine wood. The main advantages of the coating:
- environmental friendliness;
- good sound absorption performance;
- pleasant appearance, a lot of styling methods;
- ease of installation;
- the ability to combine with the underfloor heating system.
The disadvantages include the fear of moisture and the ability to scratch the coating. If the play area is additionally covered with a small soft rug, thereby highlighting it, then in the end it is possible to get rid of the disadvantages of the coating and enjoy its advantages.
No. 3. Laminate
Laminate is more and more often used to equip children’s rooms, the reason for which is its many advantages. Such material has a multilayer structure: the base is a fiberboard panel, which is protected by moisture-resistant paper, film and melamine resin. Laminate can imitate any kind of wood or any other material, because paper with a printed image is used for this. Among the advantages of laminate, it is worth noting:
- no harmful fumes. It should be noted that there is still a myth among the people about the emission of acrylic and formaldehyde resins from the laminate. It is not confirmed, but in order to guarantee the health of the child and his safety, it is better to buy laminate from trusted manufacturers who supply their products with certificates confirming the environmental friendliness of the material;
- ease of care:
- strength. For a children’s room, it is better to choose a cover of class 32 and higher, and then even the most active games will certainly not damage the material;
- huge selection of colors and textures:
- acceptable cost.
Laminate is very noisy, so even the drop of a pencil will be audible. High-quality soundproofing can save the situation a little. Another disadvantage of laminate flooring is moisture sensitivity, but for a nursery, you can choose a moisture-resistant laminate. The main disadvantage of laminate is a slippery surface, and cute small rugs that can be laid in the required area of the room save.
No. 4. Bung
Cork flooring is also one of the most natural surfaces, and it is based on cork bark. In some of its qualities, cork flooring is even better than wood, and among the main advantages it is worth noting:
- environmental friendliness;
- warm and pleasant to the touch surface, which is even a little springy;
- sound absorbing properties;
- non-slip surface that does not attract dust;
- strength and durability.
Today, parents are increasingly looking to cork when looking for a suitable flooring. To improve wear resistance, you can varnish the floor. It should be noted that a wide variety of colors and textures should not be expected: the cork has a yellow-brown color scheme, but it is these shades that make the room as comfortable as possible. But the main disadvantage of cork is its tenderness: heavy objects can deform the surface, and the fall of a sharp object from a height can violate the integrity of the material.
A natural alternative to artificial linoleum is marmoleum. The basis of this coating is cork or jute, the rest is sawdust, oils, chalk and other components. Such a composition allows us to speak of marmoleum as a natural material, but its advantages do not end there. Other pluses include:
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- high rates of heat and sound insulation;
- antibacterial properties due to the presence of linseed oil;
- sufficient softness of the coating, which is achieved through the use of a thick substrate;
- resistance to moisture;
- antistatic and fire safety;
- ease of care and durability.
The main disadvantage of this option is the high price. You will also have to spend money on the payment of specialists who will competently perform the installation, since it is difficult to do it yourself – the work requires knowledge of many nuances. If the laying process is not carried out according to the rules, the marmoleum can simply break, the same can happen as a result of improper transportation.
No. 6. PVC tiles
PVC tiles gradually migrated from kitchens to children’s rooms, when parents of active children appreciated all the advantages of this coating. The first thing worth noting is that this coating is unnatural, but completely safe for health, and cannot cause allergies. Moreover, the material has a hygienic certificate, which allows the material to be used in medical and educational institutions. Among other advantages of the coating, it is worth noting:
- resistance to moisture, mold and mildew development;
- warm and comfortable surface;
- maintainability, because if necessary, you can replace one tile with another, without touching the rest of the flooring;
- heavy furniture practically does not leave marks on it;
- excellent anti-slip properties;
- easy care;
- low price.
There are few downsides to the coverage, given that this is actually the only option that can withstand the fun of a restless child who also loves to bring friends to himself. The main disadvantage is low durability, about 10 years. It is also worth noting that for a children’s room it is better to choose a tile that is mounted using a locking system, and not using glue.
No. 7. Carpet
Carpets are also often used for furnishing children’s rooms. It is worth noting that the carpet does not belong to natural materials, but modern technologies make it possible to create material that is harmless to the health of the child.
His fans call a lot of advantages of the coating:
- soft and pleasant to the touch surface, which gives comfort to the room and reduces the risk of injury from a fall;
- excellent heat and sound insulation properties;
- a huge selection of colors and patterns.
The material also has a lot of disadvantages, so it is important to carefully weigh everything before choosing:
- the pile attracts dust, which is almost impossible to remove completely, and this carries a risk to the health of the child;
- stains from carpet are also difficult to remove, so this material is very difficult to clean.
No. 8. Soft floors
One of the most modern options for finishing floors in the nursery. More recently, soft floors have appeared on the market, which are made of foamed polymer, which is completely safe for health. They are sold in the form of modules, often puzzles, and the use of such a coating has several advantages:
- soft elastic surface, which is most suitable for active games in the nursery;
- ease of installation and ease of repair. If one of the modules is damaged, it will not be difficult to replace it;
- such a coating does not attract dust, is not afraid of water and temperature changes;
- ease of care;
- a huge assortment and the ability to create a unique design for a nursery, collecting real pictures from separate puzzles.
The durability of the coating is not up to par, and even with intense games, the surface can begin to wear out and lose color, but the ability to quickly repair the coating eliminates this drawback.
No. 9. Other interesting options
Other coatings are also used for finishing the floor in the nursery. So, you can decorate a room with one of these options:
self-leveling floor. The most modern options have become softer, warmer and not so slippery, therefore they are great for children, especially when you consider that the drawing can be absolutely any, but the cost of such a finish is high, and it will be difficult to dismantle it;
rubber covering, but it can only be used in the play area. It is better to pay attention only to materials of European production;
carpets can be combined with laminate, parquet, wood or any other parquet to create warm and cozy areas.
The children’s room requires a careful approach to the arrangement so that the child grows up in maximum safety. In pursuit of naturalness, a non-slip and easy-to-clean surface, one must not forget that tastes are formed from childhood, so you should pay attention to the decorative component of the floor covering. When the child has grown up and already has his own opinion, it will not be superfluous to ask his opinion about the arrangement of his own room.