A plinth is a building component located between the load-bearing walls and the tops of the foundations. Often, the base is the upper part of the foundation, protruding above the ground surface. It is necessary for thermal insulation and waterproofing of buildings, because it raises the building above wet and cold soil.
A basement is made of concrete, brick, rubble stone, blocks – all these materials have a large number of micropores. The basement of the building is constantly exposed to atmospheric influences, especially during the cold season. During thaw periods, moisture from rain and snow is absorbed into the pores of structural materials, and upon the onset of negative temperatures, the water, expanding when freezing, gradually destroys the basement. That is why it is necessary to seriously approach the issue of preventing the base from getting wet. The solution to this problem in some cases is to install ebbs. Let’s figure out how to choose and install an ebb for the base.
Low tide structural elements
In the prevailing variants, the ebb consists of three elements
Fastening gate – serves to fix the product using various hardware to the wall or facade profiles
Shelf – can be from 5 to 40 cm wide. Serves to facilitate the outflow of water, is arranged at an angle of 100..110 degrees in relation to the wall.
Dripper – prevents moisture from entering under low tide, additionally serves as a stiffener.
Whether or not a basement ebb is required
Before purchasing ebbs, it is necessary to determine the design features of the building device. The need for their installation depends on this.
Westerner. The basement of the building is thinner than the wall, thus creating a kind of canopy. In the case when, after the final facing, the ledge is greater than or equal to 5 cm, additional waterproofing of surfaces from weathering and an ebb device is not required. Moisture flowing from the walls does not fall on the basement in sufficient quantities for negative processes.
In the same plane as the wall. If, after the cladding, the basement and the wall are in the same plane, the installation of ebbs is not necessary, but in this case the basement cladding material must be insulating. Natural stone, ceramics or special finishing mixtures with calculated properties are well suited. Additional measures are coating insulation made with solutions based on bitumen or acrylic resins.
Protruding base. The most common option. It is often a consequence of the construction of basements and semi-basements. The enclosing structures of such rooms must be thick enough to absorb the loads from the building and provide reliable thermal insulation. A large amount of water accumulates on the ledge of the plinth. In order to prevent moisture saturation, the installation of ebb tides is required.
Low tide material
Depending on the material from which the ebb is made, the shape, scope and installation method differ significantly. They can be purchased at hardware stores or made and assembled by hand. Let’s consider their range in more detail to understand the advantages and disadvantages of possible options.
By material, ebb tides are divided into:
- aluminum and copper;
Plastic moldings are common due to their low cost. There is a huge variety of colors and textures on sale. It will be the best choice for buildings clad with vinyl panels (common siding). The advantages also include durability, noiselessness, low weight, ease of installation. The disadvantages are fragility, especially in the cold season, discoloration and aging of the material under the influence of sunlight, poor maintainability.
Steel castings can be galvanized, polymer coated and painted. They look much better than plastic ones and will perfectly harmonize with most wall cladding materials. The color scheme duplicates the roof ebb, skillful selection can make your home look thoughtful and complete.
The pluses include:
- long service life;
- ease of installation;
- low price;
- resistance to weathering.
- the appearance of rusty spots at the incision sites.
Both the first and second minuses can be easily eliminated with proper installation. The cut edges are treated with alkyd varnish or paint in color, and to avoid noise, the slope of the basement is formed from polyurethane foam and opened with mastic.
Steel glides are universal; they can be combined with almost any materials, with the exception of PVC facades.
Aluminum and copper base moldings have all the advantages of steel products, except for the price. The price, especially for copper counterparts, is quite high, in addition, you should beware of vandals hunting for non-ferrous metals.
High quality copper and alloy castings will add a noble, antique look to your home. They are well suited to rubble and decorative stone, aged masonry.
Concrete ebb tides will harmoniously look on reinforced concrete stone buildings and structures. They are heavy, which should be taken into account when constructing the foundation. Slats are sold in lengths from 3.9 to 6 m. They are made of concrete mixture M 450, which has high strength indicators. They are poured in special silicone molds, if desired, it is possible to order an individual configuration and color, or make it yourself.
The pluses include:
- practically unlimited service life;
- the possibility of an individual order;
- weather resistance.
- significant weight requiring strengthening of the foundation;
- inconvenience during installation.
Clinker planks will be in good harmony with ceramic tiles, artificial and natural stone and any type of brick. This is one of the most expensive types of basement moldings, which requires considerable skill and dexterity to install them. When installing with your own hands, you can significantly spoil the appearance of the products, chip off or thoroughly stain the matte clinker surface with building mixtures.
The benefits include:
- long service life;
- significant strength;
- resistance to weathering.
- significant price;
- increased requirements for the accuracy of installation work.
Wooden ebb. Such protective strips should be installed on wooden houses in order to preserve their natural appearance. It is better to purchase varieties of wood with high moisture resistance, such as larch. Before installation, it is necessary to soak with antiseptic compounds. After installation, the product should be treated with mineral oils or alkyd varnish. This material has more disadvantages than advantages, it is prone to decay, it can dry out with the formation of through cracks, parasites often appear in the structure, and requires constant care during operation. Perhaps the only advantages are the low price and the possibility of self-production. It is worth purchasing this type of ebb tide solely in order to give the house an ethnic look.
How to choose a standard size
To select the required size of the ebb site, it is necessary to measure the protrusion of the base and add 3 … 5 cm to the result obtained. This margin is necessary to form an overhang, which will prevent water flows from entering the horizontal surface. Round off the obtained result and select from the standard the closest in value. You need to measure the base with the final cladding, or know how thick it will be in order to plan the stock.
How to calculate the required number of ebb tides
To calculate the amount of material for installation, you must:
- Select product material
- Ask in advance how long the strips can be purchased from the seller of your choice, inquire about the availability of ready-made corner and connecting elements.
- Measure the perimeter of the building with a protruding plinth, where the ebb installation is planned. Divide the result by the length of one bar and multiply by the safety factor. For ceramic, stone and concrete products, it is 1.02, for metal and plastic without connecting and corner elements – 1.1.
How to install the basement flashing yourself
To save money, you can do the installation work yourself, but you should approach this event responsibly and painstakingly. There are basic conditions that must be observed when preparing and carrying out work:
- Before fastening, the plinth must be completely ready, the cladding is completed, the integrity of the waterproofing is checked, if necessary restored, the slopes are formed at an angle of 15..20 degrees.
- The ebb should be fixed firmly to avoid fluctuations due to wind load. Particular attention should be paid to corner sections and joints of parts with each other.
- For metal shims, it is necessary to form a foam backing to reduce noise.
- When installing steel strips with coatings, you need to monitor its integrity, avoid the appearance of chips and scratches, and if they appear after installation, treat them with varnish or paint in color. For a better look, it is best to buy a spray can.
- The joints between the elements of the sheet sills must additionally be treated with a silicone or polyurethane sealant for outdoor use.
- Depending on the type of basement ebb you choose, choose a tool, purchase fasteners, hardware for metal modifications and cement mixtures for clinker and concrete strips.
How and from what you can make ebb tides yourself
If necessary, you can make ebb tides at home from the simplest materials. This will add personality to your building and save money. Most often, craftsmen make their products from sheet metal or ceramic tiles for outdoor use.
To make metal plinths you will need:
- Eraser or marker;
- Locksmith’s square;
- An angle grinder or electric metal shears, a reciprocating saw will do. Cutting long strips with hand scissors is extremely inconvenient; this can lead to bends in the material, which will spoil the appearance of the final product;
- The most primitive tinsmith’s machine, the Internet is full of diagrams and detailed drawings of its device, manufacturing will not take much time and effort, but it will make it possible to make the ebb tides of high quality and beautiful. It is not worth bending a steel product even a meter long without such a device, the result will be very far from perfect.
Scope of work:
- Determine the desired width of the product shelf, add to it the dimensions of the shelf and a dropper with a bend, add a bend allowance – 1 cm;
- Mark the prepared sheet material and cut into strips;
- Bend with a machine.
For the device of ebb from ceramic tiles, production is best combined with installation. This will allow you to significantly shorten and simplify your processes. The first step is to choose a tile for outdoor use, the best choice would be clinker. Then choose a mixture suitable for this material.Since the overhangs due to fragility do not make more than 2 cm, in order to ensure reliable protection, the basement is in most cases made of tiles as a whole. In the future, the scope of work is no different from the wall cladding with ceramic tiles.