Children’s room requires a special interior: healthy, harmonious and beautiful. Parents sometimes find it difficult to find the right finishing material that would meet all these requirements. In addition, it is necessary to choose the right color: such that it fits into the interior, was not boring, but also not annoying. It is preferable that the material is easy to clean, does not accumulate dust, and allows air to pass through. What options best meet these conditions?
# 1. Painting
Painting is one of the cheapest, but not the worst finishing materials for a nursery. Of course, not any composition is suitable for a children’s room – it is better to choose water-based paints, and even better – those on the packaging of which it is indicated that they are completely safe for health and can be used in children’s rooms. Such compositions, as a rule, have almost no smell and dry quickly, do not cause allergies and do not violate the microclimate in the room. The main advantages of painting include:
- a huge variety of colors, the ability to create whole pictures on the ceiling;
- ease of application;
- the height of the room does not change, which becomes a significant advantage for not very tall rooms.
There is only one drawback to painting – the need to carefully prepare the surface, because it must be perfectly flat and smooth so that the room looks neat. If the height allows, and the surface of the ceiling is not too flat, drywall sheets can be used for leveling.
# 2. Wallpaper
Another fairly inexpensive and great way to organize a cozy and safe space for a child’s room. Probably, we don’t even have to talk about the breadth of the range of wallpapers – you can choose an option for every taste and embody any idea. The stores are full and purely children’s wallpaper options with the image of cartoon characters, fairy-tale characters, clouds, toys and more. Another advantage of wallpaper is the relative ease of gluing: it is more than real to cope with all the work together. If there are small defects on the ceiling, then dense wallpaper will hide these imperfections, but at the same time they will not take away useful centimeters of height.
You only need to select natural breathable wallpaper:
paper wallpaper is the best option, the most environmentally friendly and, moreover, the cheapest. On the ceiling, they will not give in to physical influence, so they will serve a lot. Their only enemy is the sun’s rays, under the constant influence of which colors can become paler;
non-woven wallpaper is also considered environmentally friendly, since it allows air to pass through without problems, providing an optimal microclimate in the room;
Wallpaper for painting is also great, it can be repainted several times, quickly changing the interior of the room. True, the paint should be selected appropriate;
fabric wallpaper is a good material, it creates coziness, increases heat and sound insulation, but you will need to take care of such a ceiling often so that it does not accumulate dust.
There are few disadvantages to the wallpaper. You can find fault with a small durability, but the child grows, he has his own taste, so the material “for centuries” is not always in demand here. Wallpaper will be difficult to glue if the nursery has an irregular shape. It is also worth noting that you need to choose high-quality safe glue.
No. 3. Decorative plaster
A completely safe and natural material, which is great for a nursery, can become the basis for interesting applications and placement of decorative elements on the ceiling. Such a coating is perfect for those rooms in which there are non-standard architectural elements, small irregularities in the walls can be hidden with plaster, and the final coating will be monolithic and durable. The advantages should be added a variety of colors and reliefs, the ability to apply some types with your own hands. The material is breathable and can be applied to any substrate.
No. 4. Whitewash
This method of decorating ceilings, which was so popular several decades ago, has now been superseded by other materials. For children’s rooms, lime whitewash is considered a very good material, and the fact that it is such a finish that is recommended to be performed in children’s and medical institutions, as well as schools, says a lot.
The advantages include low cost, ease of application, preservation of the height of the room, vapor permeability, fire safety, as well as antiseptic properties. Unfortunately, the whitewash is not very durable, and after a couple of years of operation it begins to crack and turn yellow. In addition, white may seem too boring for a nursery, but on the other hand, it will be a great backdrop for decorative elements.
Drywall is another suitable finishing material for the ceiling of a nursery. It boasts a number of benefits:
- it is an environmentally friendly, harmless material;
- with its help, you can get a perfectly flat surface, avoiding “wet processes”;
- you can bring any idea to life, because it is easy to create a multi-level structure from drywall, complemented by spot lighting;
- electrical wires can be hidden between the surface of the main ceiling and the drywall, providing an interesting and neat lighting system.
Among the disadvantages it is worth noting:
- the duration of the work, and not everyone can cope on their own;
- the design will reduce the height of the room;
- the need for finishing drywall. Painting is most often used.
No. 6. Stretch ceiling
Stretch ceilings made of PVC or fabric can also be used in a nursery. Moreover, now their popularity in the design of children’s rooms has increased dramatically, because no other material can boast of such decorative and aesthetic properties. Such a ceiling can be monochromatic and have any shade, it can be with some kind of pattern, with the image of the sky, with any necessary picture or photograph, because you can create an individual design to order. In addition to the appearance, stretch ceilings have other advantages:
- high speed of installation and the absence of dirty processes;
- the ability to equip spot lighting, which will bring a special atmosphere into the room and allow you to visually raise the ceiling;
- high dust and dirt repellent, antibacterial and hypoallergenic properties;
- suitable for newly built buildings, since there will be no cracks on such a ceiling during shrinkage;
Stretch ceilings also have disadvantages:
No. 7. Natural wood
Wood, of course, is considered the most natural and sustainable type of finish, which is especially appreciated in the nursery. In addition, some types of wood emit bactericidal substances, and any tree has excellent heat and sound insulation properties. This material has never gone out of fashion, it is universal, fits into any style of interior, and its appearance is beyond praise.
If you choose wood for finishing the ceiling of a nursery, it is important to comply with a number of requirements so that the natural finish does not become a source of danger. For processing, impregnation, you need to select the highest quality and environmentally friendly materials, the polishing of the tree should be perfect, and the care should be constant so that it retains its appearance and does not become a source of the development of insects and bacteria.
How can you decorate the ceiling in a children’s room?
First, it should be noted that when trying to develop a unique design, it is important not to overdo it. The ceiling in the children’s room should be pastel shades, and bright colors should be in small quantities in order to diversify the interior and not strain the psyche.
To decorate the ceiling, you can use the following methods:
- draw characters from fairy tales and cartoons, clouds, musical or sports instruments, and if fine art is not yours at all, you can always use stencils;
- vinyl stickers and luminous elements can be used in the design of the ceiling and give a certain mood to the whole room;
- with colorless luminescent paints, you can draw stars and the moon against the blue ceiling. During the day, this decor will be invisible, and at night a real starry sky with luminaries and constellations will appear in the room;
- the ceiling can be decorated with voluminous figures of birds, butterflies, flowers and other elements from the animal and plant world;
a beautiful unusual chandelier is already an excellent decor for the ceiling, especially if it comes with lamps;
- an option for the most daring is a fabric ceiling that creates the effect of a tent. A piece of fabric forms spectacular folds, it can even be decorated under the sails of a ship, but such a structure will need regular maintenance.
In the design of the ceiling, the children’s room needs to be balanced on the verge of a rational and creative approach. The material should be natural and harmless, but outwardly not boring, because the design of the surrounding space forms the imagination, fantasy and tastes of the child.