Every day, since childhood, we use the bathroom, and only in the case of replacing plumbing or repairing it do we begin to learn how the whole system works. The drain and overflow is the element that is least striking, but on which the functionality of the bath depends heavily. If you save money when choosing or buy an unsuitable product, you can then have problems with poorly flowing water or not at all flowing into the sewer system. Let’s protect ourselves from such problems in advance and figure out how to choose a drain-overflow for a bath.
Drain-overflow (piping) is a fairly simple design, which, as the name suggests, consists of two key elements. The drain is responsible for diverting the bulk of the water into the sewer. The overflow protects the bath from overflow and is connected to the drain with a pipe. Besides these basic details, there are others.
The drain-overflow system consists of the following elements:
the drain neck is inserted into the drain hole in the bathroom and serves to drain water into the sewer;
the overflow neck is installed on the bath wall below the mixer. When the bathtub overflows, some of the water flows into the overflow. Of course, if at the same time the tap is constantly open and water is running, then it will not save you from the flood, but with the usual bathing this is a very necessary thing;
the siphon plays the role of a water seal in the system, prevents the appearance of unpleasant odors that can leak from the sewer;
the auxiliary pipe serves to drain water from the siphon into the sewer. Typically, this is a flexible, corrugated tube. A rigid pipe can also be used, which improves the reliability of the system, but complicates installation;
the connecting hose is required to drain the water from the overflow neck to the siphon.
When buying a harness, also pay attention to the presence of cuffs and seals in the kit. They are necessary to increase the tightness and safety of the system, to exclude the possibility of the slightest leak.
Depending on how the drain system is operated, the bathroom drain-overflow can be one of the following types.
This solution is familiar to many of us. The drain hole, if necessary, to fill the bath is simply plugged with a stopper. The overflow is not equipped with anything additionally, it is completed only with a mesh to avoid large debris entering the sewer.
Of the advantages of this system, we note:
- simplified installation and minimum price;
- the absence of moving parts makes the system more reliable and durable;
- the drain hole, as a rule, has a decent size, which speeds up the process of draining the water;
- the overflow hole also usually has an impressive diameter, therefore it can serve as a reliable overflow protection;
- in case of blockage, the system can be easily disassembled.
- not the most modern design, because this type of strapping may not fit into some types of interior. In defense of classic designs, it is worth saying that manufacturers have begun to make quite nice models, therefore, if you look well, then this drawback is leveled;
- to open the drain hole, you need to lower your hand under the water. Not such a strong minus, but suddenly someone disdains.
This is a more advanced solution. In this case, the drain and overflow holes are connected not only by a branch pipe, but also by a shut-off valve. A lever is placed on the overflow hole, when turned, the drain hole is closed. When it is necessary to drain the water, the lever, like a tap, turns in the opposite direction, and the drain opens. The bottom line is that the lever is connected to the plug with a cable, the tension of which allows the drain hole to open or close.
The control handle can be made in the form of a valve, a handle, a rotary ring or a button. There is naturally an overflow hole under the handle.
- system aesthetics;
- design variability;
- Ease of controls;
- to open the drain hole, you do not need to reach for it and wet your hand.
- the system is quite complex, has a lot of connecting and moving elements, which increases the risk of breakage. To reduce this likelihood, we recommend that you pay attention to the products of trusted manufacturers. We will return to them later;
- when taking a shower, when the valve plug is slightly raised, there is a risk of damaging it, and in case of mechanical damage, the plug ceases to adhere tightly to the hole, allowing water to pass through.
The weak point of these systems is the cable that connects the drain and overflow. With frequent use, it frays, and the strapping ceases to function fully. On the other hand, replacing the cable is far from the most difficult operation.
Separately, we note the most advanced and complex system of all semi-automatic (and automatic too). Some models have the option of connecting a water pipe to the overflow opening, which makes it possible to fill the bath without a traditional mixer. A complex, interesting and demanding installation scheme. We would not recommend using such a strapping for no particular reason.
The most modern and convenient solution most of us are familiar with. The drain hole is equipped with a spring-loaded click-clack valve, when pressed, the drain is blocked. When pressed again, the drain opens, releasing water. All this simple procedure is convenient to carry out even with the help of a leg, standing or sitting in the bathroom.
- ease of operation, lack of auxiliary elements such as plugs and levers;
- modern design, large selection;
- compact dimensions of drain and overflow holes.
- higher price, especially if we are talking about high-quality and reliable models;
- a high probability of breakage of the cork retainer, if you still decided to save money and took products of dubious quality;
- the small diameter of the drain does not allow the water to go away quickly.
If the spring and plug retainer fail, they must be replaced. The necessary parts are purchased from the same manufacturer.
Consider the most popular options for the execution of drain-overflow:
plumbing plastic is the most budgetary material. In addition, plastic is not afraid of corrosion, therefore it has a long service life. The main drawback is the unpresentable appearance, but if the strapping is hidden under the screen, then this is a very good option. The exterior elements are always chrome plated and look great;
ferrous metal is not a very good option, as it is heavy, not the easiest to install and does not look very good. Better to look at other options;
stainless steel is also a fairly durable option. The cost of such a strapping is higher than a plastic one, but it will also look more serious;
Copper, Bronze and Brass are premium options, great for retro-style bathrooms where the piping isn’t hidden behind the screen. Performance at height, such systems are distinguished by high wear resistance and mechanical strength /
The name of the manufacturer is a guarantee of quality, and when it comes to such a responsible plumbing equipment, it is better not to save on quality and trust only trusted companies. It is difficult to list all the worthy ones – we will mention only the largest and most proven manufacturers of overflow sinks:
GROHE is a famous German company that offers automatic and semi-automatic siphons. The quality, design, assortment are excellent, but the prices are appropriate;
HANSGROHE stands for German quality. The company produces piping made of plumbing plastic, the external elements imitate a metal coating. The range includes automatic and semi-automatic systems. Drain and overflow from this company is traditionally of high quality, but in which case it is not difficult to find components for repair;
GEBERIT is a Swiss company that produces automatic and semi-automatic systems, which are distinguished by a special siphon shape, which accelerates the outflow of water;
Cersanit – Polish sanitary ware of very good quality. The prices are affordable, the choice is sufficient, which determines the popularity of the brand in the domestic market;
Ideal Standard is a brand of reliable German sanitary ware. The straps are made mainly of plastic, the external elements are chrome-plated. The value for money is excellent;
Kludi is a German company specializing in the production of semi-automatic siphons. Quality is high, but prices sometimes bite;
RAVAK is a relatively inexpensive Czech plumbing fixture. The assortment, although inferior to the market leaders, is still sufficient. There are automatic and semi-automatic systems. The quality is excellent and the price is reasonable;
JACOB DELAFON is a French manufacturer that makes plastic products with chrome-plated external elements. The products are very popular in Russia, as they have an excellent appearance and excellent performance;
KAISER is a German manufacturer with a range of non-ferrous metal straps. Products combine high quality and relatively low price;
ALCAPLAST is a Czech company that produces mechanical, semi-automatic and automatic drains;
Triton is a domestic company that focused mainly on semi-automatic chrome-plated plastic systems. The products are of good quality and reasonable prices.
Installation of drain-overflow
In principle, the bathroom harness can be installed independently – the main thing is to follow the simple instructions. If you have doubts about your own abilities, it is better to entrust the work to specialists. In general terms, the procedure for installing drain-overflow looks like this:
- if the old harness is replaced, then all its elements are removed, the seats are cleaned;
- start from the drain hole. A gasket is put on the strapping, another gasket is installed on the drain hole from above, then the screw is tightened;
- the overflow is set according to a similar scheme;
- connection of drain and overflow tube. The use of nuts requires the mandatory installation of gaskets;
- the siphon is installed using a union nut and a tapered gasket;
- the connection of the siphon to the sewer is carried out directly into the socket or into the sealing cuff. All joints must be sealed, and it is better to additionally treat rubber gaskets with silicone sealant;
- installation of a rotary handle and plug for semi-automatic systems, installation of a click-clack valve – for automatic systems;
- system check. The drain is closed, the tub is filled with water, all parts of the piping are evaluated. To simplify the search for possible leaks, you can lay paper under the bath, drops will be immediately visible on it.
The editing process is described in more detail in the video.
The durability and aesthetics of the system depend not only on the quality of materials and correct installation, but also on maintenance. Therefore, wipe the external chrome elements regularly, a glass cleaner is suitable. The internal structural elements should sometimes be inspected in order to notice the leak in time and tighten the connections. If the siphon is clogged, then you can clean it with a brush or plunger, or you can use aggressive chemistry that dissolves anything
The article was written for the remstroiblog.ru site.